Movies are a great way to learn. From other people’s cultures to history, there’s no end to what you can learn.
For every movie that made the box office, there’s a team of talented writers and actors. These people made your favorite movie a piece of wonder.
While most people focus on the action, there’s a gold mine most people neglect — quotes.
This post will show you some of the best 25 quotes from movies that’ll help you on life’s journey.
1. “The hardest choices require the strongest wills.” — Thanos, Avengers Infinity War
Whether you hate Thanos or not, this quote is very true. Whatever life decision, you decide to make, you need extreme guts to choose a path that affects you most. This is true of a career, choosing a life partner or changing your jobs.
2. “Eitri, this isn’t about your hands. every weapon you’ve ever designed, every ax, hammer, sword. It’s all inside your head.” — Thor, Avengers Infinity War
When Thanos decimated the land of the dwarfs, the dwarf king complained that he could not make a new weapon for Thor due to Thanos cutting off his hands.
Thor’s words here are not only for Eitri but for us as well. Your mind is the first tool you should beckon on. You might say “If I have X, I’ll do Y”. However, most times X comes and we don’t do Y because we have not won the battle in our mind.
3. “Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.” — Iroh, Episode 09, Season 2, The Last Airbender
The feeling of shame comes because of our unmet expectations. If we see beyond the pride, and that we’re merely humans who can fail, we will start overcoming the feeling of shame.
4. “Remember, they love money so pretend like you won a gold mine and you’re in the club.” — Molly Brown
Behaving as if you are successful already can be a catalyst for success. Many books and studies have shown this.
5. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” — Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone)
Friends can be disastrous, even more than enemies. You know your enemies put you on your foot, but your friends can make you feel comfortable. You need a good deal of guts and judgments when dealing with your friends, hence you might be heading on to the gallows.
6. “So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” — Gandalf, The Lord of the Ring (The Fellowship of the Ring)
You can’t slow down and fast forward time. You can’t even decide what time to live, you only found yourself here at this present time. Wisdom means you have to use the time wisely as time lost can’t be recovered. You can’t do that with physical possessions.
7. The Empire Strikes Back
8. “Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain’t how hard you can hit. It’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done”. — Rocky Balboa, Rocky Balboa
9. “Great men are not born great, they grow great.” — Mario Puzzo, The Godfather
First, this quote applies to everyone whether you’re a man or a woman. You become great by being great. You show greatness. If greatness is about being born with it, the powerful men today would have been people born into power or wealth. However, the most powerful people in the world are not born into monarchy, power or wealth. You have to work hard to become great, there’s no shortcut.
10. “No one ever made a difference by being like everybody else.” — PT Barnum, The Greatest Showman
PT Barnum despite not pedigree. No background. He was able to make something out of his life, becoming the greatest showman of recent history. Although he never said this in real life, his life was full of surprises. This helped him better than his talent. Steve Jobs summarized it in “Think Different”, the Apple slogan.
11. “There’s no place like home.” — Glinda, The Wizard of Oz
This quote is one of the reasons, the Wizard of Oz has remained a fan favorite. No matter what we do, we’ll still go back to our various homes at the end of the day. No matter the reason for our leaving home, we should not forget that we’ll always come back home. It is wisdom for us to keep our home calm in all aspects so we’ll be comfortable when we return.
12. “Love cannot be found where it doesn’t exist, nor can it be hidden where it truly does.” — David Schwimmer, Kissing a Fool
You simply can’t force love. It’s unrealistic to think you can make someone love you. It happens, but that’s not frequent. Someone who loves you will show it and appreciate it.
13. “Don’t let anyone ever make you feel like you don’t deserve what you want” — Patrick Verona, 10 Things I Hate About You
Most people live an unproductive life because people talked them out of it. Don’t allow anyone to do that to you. You know what you want, go get it.
14. “You got a dream… you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you you cannot do it. If you want something, goes get it.” — Christopher Gardner, The Pursuit of Happyness
You can only be happy if you follow your dream. The worst regret is when you’re on your death bed thinking of things you should have done. You hardly regret what you did.
15. “What we do in life echoes in eternity” — Maximus, Gladiator
If you want to be remembered for anything, you should make reasonable choices.
16. The past can hurt. — Rafiki, The Lion King
This is one of the amazing scenes of Lion King. Wise people learn from their past. It’s only foolish people that don’t learn from their past.
17. Choices Matter
18. “The truth. It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should be treated with great caution.” — Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone)
Not everyone wants to hear the truth. That doesn’t mean you should tell them lies instead. Rather, be careful. Learn how to be diplomatic with the truth, hence you will make enemies for yourself. You won’t like that.
19. “Our lives are defined by the opportunities, even the ones we miss” — Benjamin Button, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
20. “You have to get lost before you find yourself.” — Margo Roth Spiegelman, Paper Towns
Since none of us came with a map, it’s logical that we’ll get lost. However, make sure you find yourself.
22. “Never be in a hurry. You’ll miss the best part in life.” — Marlene Dietrich, Around the World in Eighty Days
23. “In this life, you don’t have to prove nothin’ to nobody but yourself.” — Fortune, Rudy
24. “We never lose our demons, Mardo. We only learn to live above them.” — The Ancient One, Doctor Strange
We’re humans and are not perfect. We’ll continue to make mistakes or behave wildly. What we can do, however, is to better ourselves daily. Reading, meditation, and socializing are some of the ways of bettering ourselves.
25. “I never look, darling. It distracts me from the now.” — Edna Mode, The Incredibles
Focusing on the moment is what leads to a great life. Stop looking back to the past. Never get fixated on the future, you will end up missing the amazing things happening around you.